Business Relationship Management Professional®
In the pursuit of true business value, executives must initiate and execute strategic programs of change – whether they involve re-engineering business processes, refreshing business strategy, tackling problems or seizing opportunities. Unfortunately, the transition from plan through to desired outcome is rarely completed successfully. Barriers, mostly in the form of people (culture, resistance to change) present numerous challenges, many of which are never overcome.
In order to ensure the right conditions exist for the realisation of projected value, a management approach is required that can drive effective engagement between service providers (internal or external) and key stakeholders. The approach develops roles that must not only influence, persuade and sell the expected benefits of a given change, but also exploit potential opportunities based on known capabilities. These are the key attributes of a successful Business Relationship Manager (BRM) and everyone who has a role supporting business from CIOs and Architects to Service Managers.
Aligning firmly with our focus on Value Delivery, ITWinners are delighted to announce the addition of BRMP® to our education portfolio! Our new class enables Business Relationship Managers to become trusted partners, contributing to strategy formulation and shaping business demand. We’ll provide them with the techniques and disciplines needed to guide plans through to desired outcomes, including Value Management and Business Transition Management.
Crucially, we help them communicate the benefits of change in way that everyone in the business can understand.
Our trainers, some of whom are ex-CIOs of large Corporates, have seen first-hand the positive changes driven by successful BRMs. In our class, they’ll share their experiences and encourage group discussion to ensure participants not only pass the mandatory examination, but take-away the know-how to effectively apply the training as soon as they get back to work.
Forthcoming Public Classes
(Part of MEA BRMCommunity Week)
2nd – 4th September 2019
11th – 14th November 2019
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Johannesburg, South Africa
BRMP® Learning Objectives
Holders of the BRMI Business Relationship Management Professional (BRMP®) credentials will be able to demonstrate their understanding of:
- The characteristics of the BRM role
- What it means to perform as a strategic partner, contributing to business strategy formulation and shaping business demand for the provider’s services
- The use of Portfolio Management disciplines and techniques to maximize realized business value
- Business Transition Management and the conditions for successful change programs to minimize value leakage
- The BRM role in Service Management and alignment of services and service levels with business needs
- The principles of effective and persuasive communication
- Understand “Demand Shaping” as a means to increase value realization from provider investments, services and assets.
- Be able to use a Strategic Relationship Management Process and Tools to strengthen business partner and provider relationships.
- Understand how and where to engage in your business partner’s decision cycle.
- Co-develop, with your business partner, a Relationship Strategy-on-a-Page as a mutual Relationship Contract.
- Understand how Portfolio Management is the central mechanism for a Value Management Process.
- Understand how to apply Portfolio Management to the entire life cycle of provider investments, from managing new investments, optimizing existing investments and retiring old investments.
- Understand the relationships between Project, Program and Portfolio Management and how these work together to optimize business value.
- Be familiar with two common Portfolio Classification schemes and how they are applied to achieve a Portfolio Balancing.
- Understand how governance processes and structures are used in support of Portfolio Management.
Service Provider Domain
- Understand the value-centric definition of a service
- Understand the important distinctions between Products and Services and the implications for the BRM
- Understand the different aspects of service value and how service provider constraints impact the role of the BRM
- Be able to explain the goals and objectives of the BRM role.
- Understand why the BRM role is gaining importance and how it is evolving in response to business and provider forces.
- Explain the concepts of Business Demand Maturity and Provider Supply Maturity and how these impact the BRM role.
- Understand the drivers of relationship maturity and be able to differentiate between tactical and strategic BRM roles and how these relate to order taker, trusted consultant and strategic business partner.
- Be able to explain common BRM reporting and organizing structures.
- Understand the concepts of Value Leakage and the BRMs role in minimizing this.
- Understand the concepts of Capability Roadmaps and how these are derived from business strategy.
- Understand the concepts of Value Management and how these link business strategy, provider strategy, portfolio and the business case to shape priorities, communicate and drive business value.
- Be able to use Business Outcomes to clarify strategic initiatives, manage scope and determine value metrics.
Business Transition Management
- Understand what Business Transition Management is, why it is important to BRM, and the components of a Business Transition Capability Model
- Understand how to create urgency for stakeholders
- Understand the key roles to be orchestrated for successful business transition
- Understand key change leadership concepts
- Understand the importance of clarifying the change details and typical methods for achieving clarity
- Understand how the Cliff Analogy illustrates all key factors in managing a transition
- Understand the components of ‘powerful communications’
- Understand how to influence those over whom they do not have direct control
- Be able to express themselves through a unique value proposition
The BRMP® Guide to the BRM Body of Knowledge Study Guide
BRMI recently published The BRMP® Guide to the BRM Body of Knowledge. The Guide, which was published as an ebook in collaboration with Van Haren Publishing, is designed to assist the Business Relationship Management Professional (BRMP®) training course attendees and certification exam candidates, but it will also be of great value to anyone looking for a comprehensive foundation-level overview of the art and practice of Business Relationship Management. The book covers the entire BRMP® course syllabus and contains all the information covered in the training and referenced in the exam.
BRMI members can download a free personalized annotation-enabled printable ebook (PDF) copy of The Guide via BRMI Online Campus homepage. Others can purchase a Kindle version of the book on Amazon.COM or order it directly through BRMI’s publisher. If you are not a member if the Institute, please consider joining today to save on The BRMP Guide and gain access to numerous other BRMI membership benefits.
Development of BRMP is made possible by the BRMP Content Development Team, which is comprised of renowned Business Relationship Management (BRM) experts, trainers, game-changing BRM practitioners, and senior business executives ranging in academics, government, and industry from all around the globe. Generously volunteering their time to add value, experience and rigor to the body of knowledge, Business Relationship Management Institute is grateful to these people and their organizations, provided here.